Below you'll find information about the Phonics Hive.
In this Phonics Hive document you’ll find the following information:
- List of Phonics Skills
- Types of Phonics Activities
- Ideas for Using Phonics Resources
- Season and Holiday Phonics Activities
- Common Core Standards
- Year Plan Samples (based on 40-week school year)
List of Phonics Skills
The materials in the Phonics Hive focus on the following phonics skills:
- ACK, ECK, ICK, OCK, and UCK
- ALK, ALL, and ALT
- ALL, ELL, and ILL
- ANG, ING, ONG, and UNG
- ANK, INK, ONK, and UNK
- AR and OR
- AU and AW
- Beginning Sounds
- Final Blends
- Initial Blends
- Bossy R
- CVC Words
- DGE, GE, and TCH
- Final Digraphs
- Initial Digraphs
- Double Consonants
- EA Sounds
- Ending Sounds
- ER, IR, and UR
- EW, OO, and UE
- Hard and Soft C & G
- Hard and Soft C
- Hard and Soft C & G
- Hard and Soft G
- ING Words
- OI and OY
- OO Sounds
- OU and OW
- Silent Letters
- Sounds of Y
- Closed Syllables
- Consonant LE
- Magic E
- Open Syllables
- R-Controlled Syllables
- Vowel Teams
- Three Letter Blends
- Long Vowels
- Short Vowels
- Short and Long Vowels
Types of Phonics Activities
You’ll find both digital and printable phonics activities. The phonics activities include:
- Drag and Drop Activities
- Type the Correct Word Activities
- Answer Keys
- Hands-On Activities (Match Activities or Word Sorts)
- Task Cards
- Answer Keys
Ideas For Using Phonics Resources
You can use the phonics activities in your classroom:
- as part of your regular language arts program,
- as a bell ringer activity,
- for homework practice,
- as an activity for early finishers, or
- in a literacy center.
Season and Holiday Phonics Activities
There are a number of phonics resources that can be used around the following seasons and holidays:
- Back To School
- Earth Day
- End of Year
- New Year’s Day
- Patrick’s Day
- Valentine’s Day
Common Core Standards
The activities in the Phonics Hive address the following Common Core Standards:
Grade 1 Reading: Foundational Skill Standards
- RF.1.3 – Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.1.3a – Know the spelling-sound correspondences for common consonant digraphs.
- RF.1.3b – Decode regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- RF.1.3c – Know final -e and common vowel team conventions for representing long vowel words.
- RF.1.3d – Use knowledge that every syllable must have a real vowel sound to determine the number of syllables in a printed word.
- RF.1.3e – Decode two-syllable words following basic patterns by breaking the words into syllables.
- RF.1.3f – Read words with inflectional endings.
Grade 2 Reading: Foundational Skill Standards
- RF.2.3 – Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.2.3a – Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- RF.2.3b – Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
- RF.2.3c – Decode regularly spelled two-syllable words with long vowels.
- RF.2.3d – Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3e – Identify words with inconsistent but common spelling-sound correspondences.
Grade 3 Reading: Foundational Skill Standards
- RF.3.3 – Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.3.3a – Identify and know the meaning of the most common prefixes and derivational suffixes.
- RF.3.3c – Decode multi-syllable words.
Year Plan Samples (based on 40-week school year)
The sample year plans list the phonics skills you can focus on with your students for each week of the school year. The year plan samples are based on a 40-week school year.
These year plans are meant to be an example of how you could structure your phonics for the school year. Be sure to create the year plan that meets your planning needs and the needs of your students.
There are sample year plans for Grades 1, 2, and 3.
Would you like access to ALL our Writing Resources?
Click the button to learn more about TeachingWithATouchOfHoney.com. It's full of fun, differentiated writing activities and resources to get your kids writing!Join Writing Club